Monday, September 14, 2009

Monmouth County Park Sprint Triathlon

I made the decision to participate in this race only the night before. This race has been one of the oldest triathlon events in the Jersey Shore area, it's the 25th annual sprint triathlon @ Seven Presidents Park.

Coming into this race I had no real training, it's been 3 weeks now since Timberman 70.3, so I'm hoping there is still a little bit of fitness left that I gained from all that Ironman 70.3 training. My goal here was just to enjoy every bit of moment for my the Last triathlon event for my 2009 season.

The race was scheduled to start @ 7:45 am and registration @ 6:30am. It's about an hour drive to the park from my place, so I set the alarm clock on my cell phone @ 5:00 am. I was deeply asleep and I thought I was dreaming when I heard somebody calling my name, it was actually my mom waking me up, it's 5:30am!! Oh no gotta hurry now...... So I got to the park with about half an hour to spare, still needed to register then setup transition, I kept calm and just did everything I visualize while driving to the park (Note: I firmly believe in visualization training is really important too!)

The swim was 1/4 mile long, but the waves that morning were like 8-10 feet high! Definitely a good morning for surfing and not much for swimming. It was hard getting past the breakers but I gotta admit it was also a lot of fun for me though, I like the feeling riding up those waves... Anyway click on the link to see the details from my Garmin http://connect.garmin.com/activity/13254176

Now the bike was a 12.5 mile flat and straight away course, there were some head winds on the first 3 miles and the final 3 miles that definitely slowed us down. Choice of nutrition on the ride was Gatorade Endurance Formula mix, 2 Endurolytes & 1 GU Roctane... http://connect.garmin.com/activity/13254180 (I forgot to pressed the lap button until about .5 miles into the course).

Onto the 3.1 mile run, the course on the boardwalk along Atlantic Ocean, very beautiful!!! started out easy and stayed relaxed, got to the half way turn point and popped another 2 Endurolytes tablets... Then I saw Lence only a few meters away from making his way to the half way turn around also. The race was on for me, I wanted to test myself and see if I can hold him off.... I picked up my pace and increase my leg turnover. With about 3/4 miles to go to the finish line we were running shoulder to shoulder, picked up my pace and attacked, Lence responded, I relaxed a bit and then I tried to attack but Lence responded again, with about 1/4 mile to go he finally passed me and I was done.... Maybe next year! http://connect.garmin.com/activity/13254183

Thank you all for reading!

Mabuhay,
Cerrone

No comments: